Thursday, March 26, 2009

The Ghost and Mr. Chicken (1966)

This movie was shown on TV a couple of times that I remember during the late 1980s near Halloween. The part I looked forward to was the scene where Luther Heggs, played by Don Knotts, spends the night inside the mysterious Simmons mansion and gets spooked by the sight of the old pipe organ playing itself. No one was better than Don Knotts at playing nervous, excitable characters.

Here's a trailer for the movie:

I remember making a "haunted house" in my bedroom after seeing this movie. Inspired by the painting that hung in the Simmons house, I made a watercolor portrait of a woman. Luther Heggs had reported seeing the portrait with a knife stuck in the woman's throat and blood flowing from the puncture. I simulated this effect for my haunted house by hanging my picture on my bookcase and sticking a steak knife through it.

No comments: