Sunday, March 29, 2009

Porky & Sylvester: Scaredy Cat (1948) and Claws for Alarm (1954)

"Scaredy Cat" (1948) and "Claws for Alarm" (1954) are two cartoons that I saw as a child, and I remember being creeped out by them. They both feature Porky Pig and Sylvester spending the night in an ominous old house, with Sylvester constantly waking Porky to report the sight of something horrible. The cartoons are very successful at creating a sense of dread, particularly as we see Sylvester growing more and more anxious. As a kid, I liked when Porky let Sylvester climb into bed with him; I could identify with that feeling of safety that Sylvester longed for.



Both of these cartoons appeared in the 1977 anthology program Bugs Bunny's Howl-oween Special, which can be found here.

2 comments:

crumpingtons said...

oh i LOVED THIS short when iw as growing up. was scarey. nice memory, thanks for sharing

Unknown said...

My favorite as a kid! Thank ya'll!