Tuesday, September 29, 2009

House on Haunted Hill (1959)

This is a fun movie to watch on Halloween. The first time I ever saw this was during the mid-90s when I was staying the night at my grandparents' house with my brother and sister. In the TV room there were shelves full of old books and videos. Some of the tapes they had obviously received as gifts or had purchased without ever opening them. Anyway, it was late, the grandparents had already gone to bed, and my siblings and I decided to put this movie in the VCR. If you haven't seen this one before, it contains at least a couple of startling moments. During one surprising scene, a female character is frightened and shrieks loudly. Grabbing the remote in a scramble to turn the volume down so that it wouldn't disturb the grandparents, my sister actually turned the volume up, and the woman's scream filled the house. This greatly increased the scene's effect on us. To add to our excitement, our grandmother walked into the room shortly after without her dentures in, which we had never seen before. I hope you enjoy this film.

No comments: